***This Covid-19 life is HEAVY. I don’t know quite how to address it with sensitivity, but I also can’t just be like “here’s a cookie recipe”. I love to bake, and find baking very satisfying (relaxing isn’t quite the right word for me, I get more of a sense of accomplishment.) So if baking is your thing, or you’re trying new things, and you have these ingredients on hand or in your next grocery delivery, here’s my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
There is almost nothing better than the combination of salt & chocolate. In general, I am a huge fan of recipes that call for salted butter. It’s pretty much the only butter I ever have on hand.
I got this recipe from Pinch Of Yum & it has been my go-to chocolate chip cookie for years now, using a slightly different method than she does. There are two tips/tricks to this recipe: don’t use too much flour (I’ve been weighing mine out) & let your cookies cool on the baking sheet. I made a huge batch of these cookies once, and in an effort to speed up the process I slid the parchment paper with cookies off of the baking sheet too soon & plopped them on the counter. The cookies were still tasty but just a tad too soft & pale – and this is from someone who loves a soft cookie! Leaving them on a tray continues to cook the bottom for a bit, so you have a still quite soft but just slightly browned and chewy on the bottom.
Apparently these freeze well, but I have never had any left over to try that for myself 😂
Soft & Salty Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 15-18 cookies
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 6.75 oz of all purpose flour (1 1/2 cups spooned & leveled)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Microwave the butter for about 40 seconds, until it is mostly melted but not hot.
- Beat the butter with the sugars until creamy using a stand or electric mixer.
- Add the egg & beat until just incorporated. Then add vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients on low. When fully incorporated, add chocolate chips.
- Scoop 15-18 cookies onto parchment paper or silicone mat lined cookie sheets. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets.
I’m trying to remember the words Jesus said & not worry about tomorrow. We will all get through this, Lord willing.