Tomorrow is Mother’s Day & what do all mothers love? Brunch!
That’s what we’re doing at my house, anyway. Brunch with the extended family. And these scones are on the menu!
I got this scone recipe from my dear friend Beth, who gives me so many great recipes, who got it from the book Ten Dollar Dinners. However, I have adapted it some. I never have buttermilk powder on hand & have not come across another recipe that calls for it yet. Therefore I just always use lemon juice. I also in general almost always use salted butter for everything, so that’s what I use in this recipe, too. With a few other twists & tweaks, I bring you this recipe.
I’ve never made scones any other way, so this cream method is all I know. I hear it is much easier than another method which requires cutting butter into flour. I make it extra easy on myself by letting my KitchenAid mixer do most of the work. The key is just not to let it over mix.
Blueberry & white chocolate chips has become our favorite flavor combo for scones around here. The white chocolate chips take the scones from “blueberries are healthy, right?” to “oh, this is basically dessert”. But they are too good to pass up for a celebratory brunch. I think that’s why I like to make 24 mini scones out of this recipe instead of 16 larger ones. So I can eat two. (or 5!)
I am very much looking forward to a fun brunch tomorrow morning with our moms &, of course, with my little Cupcake!
She enjoyed sampling them this morning 🙂
Blueberry & White Chocolate Chip Cream Scones
Makes 16-24 scones depending on size
- 2 cups flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper & set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer equipped with the paddle attachment.
- Whisk the 1 cup of heavy cream, lemon juice, butter, & vanilla in a liquid measuring cup. Pour into the mixer bowl & turn the mixer on low. Mix until the dough is just starting to come together.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface & knead for about 1 minute; just until the dough is smooth. Divide the dough into 2-3 equal parts (2 parts = 16 scones, 3 parts = 24 mini scones). Shape & flatten into circles that are about 3/4 inch thick.
- Add the blueberries & white chocolate chips to the center of each circle. Fold in the edges to cover completely, then reshape the circle. Cut into 8 wedges & place on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the 2 tbsp of cream. Bake for 12 minutes, until lightly browned.