It’s Worldwide Waffle Day! (whoever named it ‘International Waffle Day’ missed an opportunity, according to my husband)
We love waffles around here. But this morning I was not in the mood for the usual waffles with maple syrup. I wanted something slightly more savory.
I remembered I had a box of Jiffy® cornbread mix in the pantry & got an idea.
This post is not sponsored or affiliated with Jiffy®, I just really like that little box mix. It’s so convenient & makes really good corn muffins (& now waffles!). Jiffy®, if you’re reading this, please feel free to throw a few free boxes my way!
This recipe is so easy. You follow the instructions on the box to make corn muffins, but instead of putting them in a pan, you cook it in a waffle iron. Before you close the lid, sprinkle some cheddar cheese & then cook to crispy perfection.
Cheddar Cornbread Waffles
Makes 3-4 waffles, depending on size
- waffle iron
- 1 box Jiffy® corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- cheddar cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package instructions.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray & pour 1/2 to 2/3 cup of batter into waffle iron. Before closing the lid, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of batter.
- Cook for a few minutes until waffle is done. A good tip from my husband is to check the waffles when the amount of steam coming out of the sides of the waffle iron decreases. The cheese will crisp up & not be stuck.
- Spray the waffle iron between each batch. Serve with your favorite cornbread accompaniments such as honey & butter.