I’m 15 weeks along with my little baby & finally feeling more energetic! Blogging will probably be more sporadic going forward – I don’t foresee myself blogging a ton with a newborn next year! But writing & sharing recipes is really important to me.
My husband introduced me to a wonderful salad combination. So wonderful that whenever one of us says, “Do you want salad for dinner?”, this is the one we are talking about.
As far as salads go, this one isn’t very fancy. But all the flavors work together beautifully. Tangy olives, crispy bacon, sharp red onion, & buttery croutons! Throw in some shredded cheese & top it off with 1,000 island dressing – that’ it. That’s the recipe. Well, with lettuce, of course.
We used pre-bagged salad mixes, usually ones with carrots for extra vegetables. We always make our own croutons – toast some sliced bread with butter, Italian seasoning, & garlic pepper. Much better than store bought. They come out toasty but still a little soft.
I didn’t say it was the healthiest salad around, but bacon has protein, cheese has calcium, & the olives & onion have vitamins. It’s a full meal.
The best part about this salad is how easy it is to construct. From assembly to eating in minutes. This one is definitely staying in the rotation for busy nights with the baby coming soon!
Anthony’s Famouse 1,000 Island Salad
- 1 pre-bagged salad mix
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup manzanilla olives
- 3 slices of bread for homemade croutons, or a handful of pre-made croutons
- butter & seasoning for homemade croutons
- 1,000 island dressing
- Cook bacon. Crumble & set aside.
- If making your own croutons, toast bread with butter, garlic pepper, & Italian seasoning. Cut into cubes.
- Chop the red onion & cut the olives in half. Pour into a large bowl with salad mix.
- Add bacon, cheese, croutons, & dressing. Toss & enjoy!