Tonight is the Season 6 finale of The Walking Dead!
In our family, this is cause for celebration. I have celebrated before with cake & cookies, so in keeping with the dessert theme I was looking for something easy yet creepy to make. I found this great recipe from the Food Network: Witch Finger Cookies courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis. I tweaked the recipe just a little & made them even creepier!
I present to you: zombie fingers!
These were so easy! It’s a yummy sugar cookie recipe with some added freaky flair.
Even before going in the oven my husband looked at these & said, “Ew!”
The cookies will expand a little bit – so make them thinner than a standard finger. I didn’t do this so I ended up with fat fingers, but let’s just say these walkers are bloated.
The ‘knuckles’ were so easy – take a knife & make 1 slit closer to the nail bed & 3 slits towards the middle of the finger.
The nails are my favorite part. I dipped sliced almond into melted lingonberry jam (any red jam will do!) before putting them on the fingers. This gives them that bloody look!
Observant Walking Dead fans might recognize these plates. (Hint: Start To Finish)
These are creepy and delicious! Enjoy the show tonight!
Zombie Finger Cookies
Makes 24-30 fingers
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24-30 sliced almonds
- lingonberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with baking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, & salt.
- Using a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter & sugar together until light & fluffy.
- Add the egg & vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture until dough forms.
- Using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll the dough between your palms to form fingers (Giada says about 5-inch-long fingers about 1/2-inch thick). For the knuckles: using a knife, make 1 slit close to the nail bed & 3 slits towards the middle of the finger.
- Melt jam in microwave for 30 seconds. Dip sliced almonds in melted jam & then press into the end of each finger to make fingernails.
- Arrange the fingers on the cookie sheet & bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until light brown. Transfer the fingers to a wire rack & cool completely.
- Dip the blunt ends of the fingers in the warm jam & serve.