Monkey Bread Muffins

Every 6 weeks or so it’s my Sunday school’s turn to bring food to church.

Previously I made some yummy granola bars. Last week I made these delicious monkey break muffins.

Monkey Bread Muffins - Mrs. Dessert Monster

This was my first time ever making OR eating monkey bread.

I had never even heard of it before Pinterest. Don’t know if that’s a Cuban-American First Generation problem or some kind of regional thing or what.

Now that I have made it & tried it I am hooked.

These were so simple! I got this recipe from The Frugal Girls.

The secret is refrigerated biscuit dough!

Monkey Bread Muffins - Mrs. Dessert Monster

Cut each biscuit in 6 pieces. Then shake them in cinnamon sugar.

Put 8-10 biscuit pieces in each foil cupcake liner. Foil liners really are the way to go for these. I ran out & used some paper liners to finish the recipe, which I had doubled, & the results were super sticky. I made a little over 3 dozen muffins by doubling the recipe, so i’d say this recipe makes about 20 muffins.

Add raisins, walnuts, whatever else your heart desires! I made a mixture – I like giving people options! I found it best if you put 4-5 biscuit pieces in, then sprinkle in the stuff & top off with more biscuit pieces. This way they raisins/whatever are not just floating on the surface, but nicely mixed in with everything else.

Monkey Bread Muffins - Mrs. Dessert Monster

I differed from the Frugal Girl’s recipe a bit by spooning 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar/butter mix over each muffin.

Monkey Bread Muffins - Mrs. Dessert Monster

The results were glorious.

Buttery, sugary, chewy, soft, crunchy – in other words YUMMY!

These were the talk of the day at church.

Monkey Bread Muffins

Yields approximately 20 muffins

• 3 tubes refrigerated biscuit dough
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • ½ cup raisins (optional)
  1. Heat Oven to 350 degrees. Put foil liners into muffin tin.
  2. Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a plastic bag. Cut biscuits into 6 pieces. Shake biscuit pieces in the plastic bag until covered in cinnamon sugar.
  3. Place 8-10 biscuit pieces in each foil liner. Add raisins or walnuts, if desired.
  4. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute.
  5. Spoon 1 tablespoon of butter mixture over each muffin.
  6. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Cool & enjoy!
In The New House Designs
Advertisements

Tagged: , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Monkey Bread Muffins

1. projectpatrol August 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM Reply

I’ve never heard of monkey bread either. Looks absolutely delicious!

Liked by 1 person

• Gina August 27, 2015 at 1:32 PM Reply

Thanks! Maybe it’s just one of those recent Pinterest crazes, although my husband says he used to eat it as a kid.

Liked by 1 person

2. Beth August 27, 2015 at 3:38 PM Reply

My mouth literally just dropped when you said you have never had monkey bread before. We ate it every Christmas morning growing up. What a world you’ve been missing. My version is made in a bundt cake pan with cinnamon, sugar, butter, and yes, canned biscuit dough.

Liked by 1 person

3. lelaburris September 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM Reply

Oh Gina, this looks so delicious. I like monkey bread but most recipes yield way too much for my 3-person family. I love the idea of making small muffins instead. I can make a big batch, eat some and freeze the rest. Thanks so much for sharing at Inspiration Thursday! See you tonight for another party!

Liked by 1 person

• Gina September 3, 2015 at 7:40 AM Reply

Thank you! These are easy & convenient! I think they would freeze well & be just as yummy later!

Liked by 1 person

• lelaburris September 13, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Just made these for breakfast and they were so delicious! The butter and brown sugar topping really makes them great.

Liked by 1 person

4. […] Not only did I have them for breakfast but I had them for dessert after dinner, too. And I plan to have them for breakfast again tomorrow. And the next day. And maybe every day for the rest of my life. Want to give them a try? You can get the recipe here. […]

Liked by 1 person

5. […] I cut up a fresh pineapple to be grilled alongside it. I had some cinnamon sugar left from the monkey bread muffins I made, so I sprinkled it on the pineapple. Mmm, steak & grilled pineapple – it was like […]

6. Oliva Ohlson September 26, 2015 at 6:01 PM Reply

These look so delicious…must make!!! TFS Pinned

Liked by 1 person

7. Caramel Apple Cake | Mrs. Dessert Monster December 2, 2015 at 11:14 PM Reply

[…] & consistency are caramel-y enough for me! It reminds me a lot of sugary glaze part of the monkey bread muffins I’ve made previously – but much richer. At first I was worried it was too runny, but […]